Friday, October 11, 2013

Quick Drive 2012 Ford Focus SEL

Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

Thanks to Zipcar I was once again able to review my first car from Ford Motor Company. For my first Ford Ill be driving one of their  best sellers, the 2012 Ford Focus.

This specific Focus was a Silver Ingot SEL model. Ford equipped the Focus with a direct injection 2.0 liter engine producing 160 horsepower and 146 pound feet of torque. Driving the front wheels is the highly polarizing 6-speed dual-clutch PowerShift transmission. Buyers can choose from a 4-door sedan or a 5-door hatchback. I prefer the looks of the hatchback. Ford has really drawn many positive reactions from journalists and consumers so I was very excited to have a chance to test drive my first Ford.

I only had a hour and a half with the Focus, but I had the perfect route planned. The route was broken down into three sections: highway, rough road, and technical county road.  This route challenged every aspect of the Focus. Fuel economy, noise vibration and harshness (NVH) and chassis control. With only an hour and half I had to get the most out of my time.

Fuel economy is a hallmark of the compact car segment. EPA estimates put the Focus at 27 city and 38 highway with the PowerShift transmission with SelectShift (tons of trademarks here). I was able to demolish these estimates by achieving 51 miles per gallon over a 15 mile stretch of highway. The direct feel of the PowerShift transmission and excellent throttle response gave me excellent control of fuel usage short of a completely manual transmission. The absence of an instant fuel economy gauge was troubling for someone like me. For those of you who want to stop using gasoline all together Ford has a fully electric variant of the Focus.

Taking a left off of Highway 46 east of Bloomington, Ind. brings you onto the weather beaten roads that pass through Yellowwood State Forest. These roads are potholed,  bumpy and an excellent challenge for any suspension. It is amazing how solid and well built compact cars have become over the last few years. Instead of creaks, moans and other distressing sounds all you felt was a thrum through the chassis as it absorbed the blows. Ride quality is near the top of the class.

I had 30 minutes to drop the Focus off. Lucky for me Highway 45 and its endless S-Curves lay ahead. Ive taken a lot of cars out to this road to really get to know the suspension, engines and brakes. Its a road that offers little traffic and tight turns. What I can tell you about the Focus is that it has one of the best chassis for a subcompact car. Suspension is definitely firm and might be a deal breaker for some drivers. If you dont fall into that category this really is a drivers compact car. The Achilles heel of the Focus is its numb and light electric power steering. Even under heavy steering load you cant feel whats going on with the tires. For those who need to feel more connected to the road I suggest you check out the turbocharged Focus ST.

Unlike much of its competition the Focus has a decidedly European flair that a former Volkswagen driver like me can appreciate. What doesnt translate well is the overly designed center stack. If youre going to purchase a Focus Id recommend the Ford MyTouch system which gives the Focus an upmarket feel and better looking interior. Even with the silly button layout I found myself whispering how German the whole car felt. Black and silver accents adorn everything and there are firm but comfortable seats the interior was definitely my style.

Ford has succeeded in creating a car that is fun to drive and extremely frugal. In regards to the issues other journalists have faced I found the PowerShift transmission to operate just fine. I think this transmission offers drivers who have never driven a manual the kind of control over their car theyve never felt. If youre dead set on a manual there is a 5-speed version available. I really think Ford needs to add another gear, but thats just me.

This is a great car for someone with a duality of spirit. On one hand they want great fuel economy on the other they want to feel connected with their car on the road. Ford has accomplished this with the Focus.

For my first Ford review ever this one gets my seal of approval for drivers who want to save fuel and have fun doing it.
Pricing Info: 2013 Ford Focus 

Gasoline Powered
Focus S Sedan:  $16,200 + $795 Destination Fee
Focus SE Sedan: $18,20 + $795 Destination Fee
Focus SE Hatchback: $19,200 + $795 Destination Fee
Focus Titanium Sedan: $23,200 + $795 Destination Fee
Focus ST: $23,700 + $795 Destination Fee
Focus Titanium Hatchback: $24,200 + $795 Destination Fee

Electric Vehicle
Focus Electric: $39,200 + $795 Destination Fee





No comments:

Post a Comment